Call to Action:
Adoptee Citizenship June Day of Action!
The Adoptee Rights Campaign needs YOUR support on June 14th to help pass the Adoptee Citizenship Act (ACA)! This is an open invitation for adoptees, adoptive parents, and all community members to win citizenship for all adoptees.
Since the 1940’s, an estimated 350,000 children have been internationally adopted by U.S. citizen parents. While children born to U.S. citizen parents are automatically citizens, their adopted children were not afforded this same right. As a result, thousands of adoptees do not have U.S. citizenship, barring them from government services, financial aid, home loans, and voting privileges, while also placing them at risk for deportation. The ACA will remedy this discriminatory situation as all children of American parents should be treated equally.
Our first ACA Day of Action in April was a huge success due to those of you who participated in the 36 legislative visits in DC and made calls to their Senators and Representatives. Thanks to YOU, the bill is on the radar of more Members of Congress and a House companion bill is in the works!
April 19th Day of Action: We were joined by adoptees without citizenship and shared with legislators the stories of the thousands of adoptees impacted by the loophole in the Childhood Citizenship Act. Here is a link to the NBC News coverage.
To keep the momentum going, let’s continue to make our voices heard and increase Congressional support.
*Please CLICK THIS LINK to show support for the ACA on the 14th by:
- Committing to call (or write to) your Senators and Representatives on June 14th to express your support for the ACA
- Signing on to our petition in support of the ACA sign here
- Spreading the Word via social media by tweeting & posting on Facebook and sharing why you support this bill. Please use the hashtag #citizenshipforalladoptees.
- Joining us in Washington DC on June 14th for legislative visits to express support for the ACA.
- Donating to the Adoptee Defense Fund to support the ACA work donate here (Please write “Adoptee Citizenship” in memo box)
For more information, find us at www.adopteerightscampaign.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Action Alert: Join us for the Adoptee Citizenship Act Day of Action!
Updated on 2016-05-25T10:09:27+00:00, by .